Thu, 29 Jun|
Paren Godak Khasmahal
Asar Pandhra 2023
Experience the magic of Asar Pandhra, the Nepali festival heralding the paddy planting season. In the serene village of Parengtar, immerse in the rich heritage of rice fields. Soak in the rain, play with mud, and celebrate a community united by sustainability and zero-waste practices.
Time & Location
29 Jun, 4:00 pm – 01 Jul, 7:00 am
Paren Godak Khasmahal, 2VWF+V4V, Compoun Village Road, Paren Godak Khasmahal, West Bengal 734319, India
Asar Pandhra, or the fifteenth of Asar in the Nepali calendar, marks the official commencement of the paddy planting season in the hills. The month of Asar (June-July) holds profound significance as farmers unite to sow new rice seedlings in their fields. In the village of Parengtar, the time-honored tradition of sowing rice is lovingly preserved and celebrated as Asaar Pandra Festival. In this unique one-day event, all generations come together to play games and dance in the rain-soaked soil, indulge in the simplicity of Himalayan cuisine, and sow seeds that hold promises of abundance. With a steadfast commitment to zero waste practices and sustainability, the community rice fields reverberate with the fragrance of wet soil and songs of pride for natural and cultural heritage.
Asar Pandhra offers an extraordinary opportunity for visitors to embrace and understand the lived realities of rural life in the Eastern Himalayas. We welcome you to release your inhibitions, connect with your inner child and embrace the healing touch of Mother Nature in this one-of-a-kind event.
This year it is happening on June 30th. Participants should preferably arrive on June 29th to have time for the whole day for the event.
The Package - 2 Nights 1 Day
Day 1 - 29th June:
- Arrival at Parengtar: Participants, possibly arriving from Siliguri, are expected to reach Parengtar by 4 p.m. Upon arrival, guests will be greeted and directed to their respective local homestays.
- Bonding with Hosts: Guests can take some time to rest and familiarize themselves with their hosts. This provides an opportunity for meaningful interactions and establishing connections.
- Orientation and Introduction: In the evening, the organizers and the team of Muhaan will conduct an orientation session to introduce the guests to the event.
- Dinner at Homestays: Dinner will be served in the comfort of each guest's respective homestay, allowing them to relax and enjoy a delicious meal.
Day 2 - 30th June:
- Morning at Homestay: Start the day with a nourishing breakfast at your homestay, prepared with local flavors and ingredients.
- Festival Venue Visit: At 8:30 a.m., guests will make their way to the festival venue. The celebrations will commence with offerings and a traditional Kirati bhumi puja. This ceremony involves praying to mother earth for a prosperous farming season.
- Engaging Activities: Asar Pandhra, a lively segment of the festival, will kick off following the puja. It features exciting local games that embrace the playful side of mud and rain. Guests will have the opportunity to immerse in the vibrant atmosphere to participate and enjoy these unique experiences.
- Community Bonding: A highlight of the day is the collective rice planting activity, fostering a sense of unity and camaraderie among the participants and the local community. Following this, a community lunch will be provided by the organizing committee, starting with a staple dish called dahi chiura (curd and beaten rice).
- Cultural Showcase: Throughout the day, there will be captivating cultural performances showcasing the rich traditions of the region. Additionally, stalls offering local zero-waste food and products will be available, providing a glimpse into the sustainable practices of the community.
- Evening Get-Together: As the day transitions into the evening, guests will have the opportunity to come together, engage in musical jamming sessions, and relish the nostalgic ambiance that the festival evokes.
- Dinner at Homestays: Once again, dinner will be arranged in the comfort of each guest's homestay, allowing for relaxation and a chance to reflect on the day's experiences.
Day 3 - 1st July:
- Departure: After a satisfying breakfast served in their homestays, guests can prepare for their departure. This marks the end of the memorable festival experience, with fond memories and newfound connections with the community.
- Meals: All meals from the evening of Day 1 to breakfast on Day 3.
- Accommodation: Stay in local homestays.
- Asar Pandhra Activities: Participation in all Asar Pandhra activities.
- Community Lunch: Lunch provided on the festival day.
- Village Hikes: Opportunity for village hikes.
- Cultural Performances: Enjoy local cultural performances.
- Extra Food: Any additional food items beyond the package.
- Sightseeing Activities: Personal sightseeing activities.
- Adventure Activities: Any additional adventure activities.
- Travel Arrangements: Transportation to the venue.
2 Nights 1 Day Stay and Event
+₹100.00 service fee
2 Nights 1 Day - 29th June- 1st July Inclusions: Meals: All meals from the evening of Day 1 to breakfast on Day 3. Accommodation: Stay in local homestays. Asar Pandhra Activities: Participation in all Asar Pandhra activities. Community Lunch: Lunch provided on the festival day. Village Hikes: Opportunity for village hikes. Cultural Performances: Enjoy local cultural performances. Exclusions: Extra Food: Any additional food items beyond the package. Sightseeing Activities: Personal sightseeing
+₹100.00 service fee0